Thailand <3




Officially known as the Kingdom of Thailand, the country is a constitutional monarchy with a prime minister as head of the government and a king as Head of State and  the Armed Forces. The monarchy is an integral part of Thai society and the royal family is earnestly protected and respected. With over 64 million people, Thailand is a newly industrialized country and a major exporter of thai rice, textiles, footwear, fishery products, rubber,  jewelry, computers and electrical appliances. Rice is the most important crop in the country and Thailand is the world’s largest rice producer with over 6.5 million tons of milled rice exported annually.

Bangkok is Thailand’s capital and the largest city in Thailand. It is the seat of all branches of the national government and the home of the Grand Palace and Chitralada Villa, the two residences of the king. Most international flights arrive and depart from Bangkok.  The new Suvarnabhumi Airport was opened in September of 2006 and replaced the former airport at Don Muang for all international flights.

The best time to travel to Thailand is between November and March when it is not too hot or wet.  This is also Thailand’s main season for festivals and the main tourist season.  Check the area that you plan to visit for more specific information on temperatures and rainfall which will vary dramatically from region to region.

Before You Leave

Passports and Required Travel Documents

As a US citizen, you will need a valid passport and a return or continuing airline ticket to enter Thailand.  If you already have a valid passport, check that your passport will not expire for at least six months from your return date. If you need a passport visit the State Department’s website to find out how to apply for either your first passport or to renew a previous passport.  There are also several private companies that can assist you with obtaining your passport.  We suggest checking with: or if you need help or are short on time.

A visa is not required if you are staying less than 30 days and are arriving by air.  If you arrive by land you are only allowed a 15 day stay without a visa. Once you enter the country, your passport will be stamped with the expiration date of your stay.  You must leave Thailand by the date stamped  in your passport or be prepared for daily fines.  Check that your passport is stamped with the correct expiration date of your stay.  Trying to get this fixed later has been costly and time consuming.  You will be charged a Passenger Service Charge payable in Thai currency (baht) when you leave Thailand.

Health Concerns and Vaccinations

Any international traveller should be up-to-date with all routine vaccinations such as measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT), and influenza (Flu).  Travellers to Thailand should also receive vaccinations against typhoid and hepatitis A and B. If you will be staying in Thailand for over a month or will be visiting rural areas outside of the city centers, check with your doctor regarding the recommended Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine and anti-Malaria drugs.  Check the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)  for information on these vaccinations and current precautions or updates.

Pack all necessary medications in their original containers and bring a letter from your doctor describing any serious medical conditions if you have any concerns.  A small first aid kit with bandages, antibacterial cream, a pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen, a sunscreen, mosquito repellent and an anti diarrhea medication is also useful.  Make sure you get your teeth checked before you travel, and if you wear glasses take a spare pair and your prescription.


Because of the humidity of Thailand, take precautions to avoid dehydration and drink plenty of sealed, bottled water. Be sure to ask and never assume the tap water is safe without boiling first.  Use bottled water to brush your teeth, especially the first few days as your body acclimates to a new diet and a new environment.  Be sure to use a mosquito repellent with DEET at least twice a day as dengue fever and malaria can be present.

Statistically, the most serious safety concern for tourists in Thailand are motorcycles.  Over 12,000 people are killed each year on a motorcycle.  While they present a cheap and easy mode of transportation, they are also the most dangerous and have been responsible for the most injuries.  If you must use a motorcycle, insist on wearing a helmet.



When checking flights to compare travel prices and itineraries we suggest checking: , or for airfare and hotel bookings. They often have the best prices for flights and flight hotel packages.


You may also want to look into trip cancellation insurance.  Check out travel insurance at  where you can compare hundreds of travel insurance products.  Oftentimes getting a combination of trip cancellation, medical, and medical evacuation insurances is the best value for your money.

Thailand does recognize a valid International Drivers License but not a foreign drivers license. To apply for an international license you must visit the US Embassy in Bangkok. Please check their website at: for more specific information regarding driving in Thailand.

These travel guides should also help you with any questions you may have about getting around in Thailand:                                 www.fodor’                       www.frommer’


Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

This program is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. This program allows the Department of State to better assist you in case of an emergency. Your itinerary is submitted and you can also receive updates on Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts and other information for a particular country.

You can enroll in the Smart Traveler Program by clicking here: Smart Traveler Program


Electricity in Thailand

Thailand uses  220V, 50HZ, AC so you will need voltage converters and plug adapters for any electronics you plan to take with you.  If you’re bringing a laptop or tablet with you, don’t forget a surge protector too.  Check out these sites for more information on voltage converters, plug adapters and surge protectors.             


Common Wall Sockets in Thailand:



Chinese  Money  



The basic unit of Thai currency is the baht. There are 100 satang in one baht.  Coins include 25-satang and 50-satang pieces and baht in 1B, 2B, 5B and 10B coins. Older coins have Thai numerals only, while newer coins have Thai and Arabic numerals. The 2B coin was introduced in 2007 and is confusingly similar in size and design to the 1B coin.Paper currency is issued in20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000 denominations. The 10B note was phased out in 1990, but there are still a few in circulation. The most commonly used coin in Thailand is the 10 baht and the most popular note used is the 100 baht. The current exchange rate from US dollars to Thai baht (THB) can be found at: Current exchange rates are also printed in the Bangkok Post and the Nation newspaper and any Thai bank can also give you the current daily exchange rate.


Changing cash in Thailand is easy and less expensive than trying to change US dollars to Thai baht in the United States.  Forex (Foreign Exchange) booths are common and their daily exchange rates are always posted.  Cash exchanges in Thailand are also not subject to commissions or extra fees.


Travelers Checks are usually  only accepted at dedicated foreign exchange shops or banks.  Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are common throughout Thailand and most will accept major international banking networks such as Plus and Cirrus. Major credit cards such as Visa, Mastercard, JCB and American Express are accepted at most hotels, airlines, restaurants and larger department stores.  To prevent your credit card from being declined, be sure to let your credit card company know you will be travelling abroad prior to leaving the US.



Thailand is 7 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. There is no daylight savings time in Thailand, and the local Thai time is known as ICT time or Indonesia Time.


Is it Safe?

When traveling in Thailand, you should exercise caution especially in crowded areas and during demonstrations.  Avoid political rallies and large crowds that could turn angry or violent quickly.  Thailand has experienced political unrest and travelers need to stay alert and aware of any local disturbances. Check the US Embassy website  and the Bureau of Consular Affairs website for current travel warnings and alerts covering the areas you plan to visit.


If you need assistance, the local equivalents to the “911” line in Thailand are 191 for police, 199 for medical or fire.  999 connects to all emergency services.


Always take extra precautions while travelling, such as:

  • Keep your passport and cash in a concealed travel wallet. Some examples of  travel wallets can be found at
  • Keep your valuables in the hotel safe.
  • Use your common sense. Stick to well traveled roads and don’t walk down dark alleys.
  • Avoid traveling alone or walking alone at night or in isolated areas
  • Never flash a lot of cash, jewelry or expensive camera equipment

Check the “Threats to Safety and Securitiy”  page on the US State Department’s website by clicking here: US State Department.  You will find other valuable country specific information on this website under “International Travel.”

Criminal Penalties

While you are traveling in Thailand , you are subject to the laws of Thailand even if you are a U.S. citizen. If you are arrested, contact the US Embassy immediately.

Cell phones in China

Most of the cell phones used in the US will not work in Thailand until they are unlocked.  Check with your cell phone company prior to leaving for Thailand. International roaming charges can be extremely expensive and you should consider other options if you will be using a cell phone regularly in Thailand.

You can also buy a cell phone in Thailand for $50.00 or less from any 7-11 or phone store. Once you purchase a phone, you will need a SIM card and a prepaid phone card.  When you purchase a SIM card be sure to purchase a prepaid phone card from the same company.  SIM cards are usually very cheap ($5 to $10USD) and prepaid phone cards are also very affordable.

One service you can check for renting or purchasing a worldwide cellphone is


Availability of Healthcare:


Medical facilities and healthcare in Thailand are usually adequate in the city centers.  Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya all have good facilities for routine, emergency or long-term health care.

Rural areas provide basic medical care but English-speaking doctors are rare.  If you take any type of prescription medication or supplements, bring you own supply in the original container, including each drug’s generic name and carry the doctor’s prescription with you.  Many commonly known drugs, vitamins or supplements from the US are not available in Thailand or do not have the same ingredients or potency.  Many Thai pharmacies do not require a prescription and medications are not monitored the same as in the US.


Emergency transportation (ambulance) is not common in Thailand.  You will rarely see an ambulance in Bangkok.  Volunteer organizations are normally the respondents to traffic accidents.  Heavy, congested traffic is a huge obstacle for emergency care and you should not assume you will be transported easily or quickly.

Medical Insurance

Do not assume your health insurance will go with you when you travel. It is very important to find out BEFORE you leave whether or not your medical insurance will cover you overseas. You need to ask your insurance company two questions:


  • Does my policy apply when I’m out of the United States?
  • Will it cover emergencies like a trip to a foreign hospital or a medical evacuation?


Your regular U.S. health insurance may not cover doctors’ and hospital visits in other countries. If your policy does not cover you while you are on your trip, it may be a good idea to take out another health insurance policy that will cover you while you are away.  For more information, please see the list of Medical Insurance Companies on the US Department of State website at:

Medical Insurance.”

Important Links:

For information on traveler’s insurance, trip cancellation insurance, and medical insurance while traveling, we suggest:

For information on medical transfers and evacuations, visit:

US Embassy and Consulate in Thailand

U.S. Embassy in Bangkok

95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Call Center Service:  001-800-13-202-2457



U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai

387 Witchayanond Road, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand

Call Center Service:  001-800-13-202-2457


American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy Bangkok

95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Hours of Operations: Monday – Friday,7:30 am – 11:00 am

1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, excluding official holidays.

Tel: +66-2-205-4049



American Citizen Services, U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai

387 Witchayanond Road, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand

Tel: +66-53-107-777

Fax: +66-53-252-633


The Fiancee Visa Process, Simplified.

If you are an American citizen and you want to bring your foreign fiancée to the United States to get married, then you will need to obtain a K-1 fiancée visa. The K-1 visa is also known as a fiancee visa. There are certain qualifications you and your fiancee must meet for your fiancee visa petition to be approved.

First, your K-1 visa petition must be filed with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Certain income requirements will have to be met and you will need to show proof you have met your fiancee in person within the last two years. You both must be free to marry; meaning all divorces or annulments are finalized.

Below are some examples of the information and paperwork you must collect:

  • Letter from you describing your intention to marry your fiancée
  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate from the police authorities at all the places your fiancee has lived since the age of 16
  • Evidence of ability to financially support your fiancee
  • Photographs of you and your fiancee together
  • Medical examination reports from an approved physician
  • Divorce decree or death certificate related to a previous marriage (if applicable)

Once your K-1 visa petition is approved by the USCIS, it will be forwarded to the United States Consulate in the country where your fiancée lives. The United States Consulate will then contact your fiancée to schedule an interview.
After the interview at the consulate, the K-1 visa will be issued within a week or so. The fiancee visa process can take anywhere from 5-9 months. Once your fiancée arrives in the United States, you must marry within a period of 90 days. If you don’t marry within the 90 day period, she must return to her home country.

This is a short overview of the fiancee visa process, but it should give you a general idea of just some of the requirements. You can also find information on our website,
Please give us a call at 800-322-3267 (Toll free within the USA) for a Free Consultation. If you’d like to email with questions we would be happy to answer them. You can find the contact page on our Visa site.

New Look, New Prices- Cherry Blossoms Visa Department


Dear CB Friends,

Cherry Blossoms Visa Support is all about providing you and your fiancee or wife with the FASTEST, BEST service.

Cherry Blossoms has been providing Full Service Support for 36 years with Tens of Thousands of successes, we have a 99.9% success rate. Our saying is, “Do it right the first time”, and there is no company faster when it comes to doing it right than Cherry Blossoms. Cost wise, we are only $200 more than the cheapest “automated” service out there, and we give you one-on-one support from the start to the finish.

We’re here to help you and your special lady be together in the USA. We offer payment plans starting as low as $159.00.

Check out the new pages with more information on You can also call 800.322.3267 or email for a FREE consultation on how we can help you with your US Fiancee or Spousal Visa, or US Adjustment of Status (Green Card). We’re here to provide you the BEST Service possible on your visa paperwork.

Aloha, CB Visa Support Staff.

Save Thousands on Your US Fiancee or Spousal Visa


Guys, we’ve got some great news about your US Fiancee or Spousal Visa Paperwork:

The Cherry Blossoms Visa Department is here to help! We’ve cut our prices in half– it’s THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper than hiring an immigration attorney.

It’s important to make the right choice when shopping for visa paperwork preparation services. Immigration attorneys can cost $5,000 or more to handle a simple petition. Doing it yourself, filing, then having to RE-file due to incorrect paperwork will cost you extra filing fees and a lot of headaches.

If you want to avoid all that, and get the BEST SERVICE for the BEST PRICE, we’re here to help you and your fiancee. Our staff provides you and your Fiancée with hands on, A to Z support from the moment you place your order, to the moment your Fiancée receives her Visa. Cherry Blossoms Visa Support has been helping members for almost 40 years…

If you have questions about the US Fiancee or Spousal Visas, you owe it to yourself and your fiancee to contact the CB Visa Department for a FREE Consultation.

What makes the Cherry Blossoms Visa Department the BEST?

1. Personal Service from day one until she gets here.

2. No delays due automated services and incorrect paperwork; personal service is #1.

3. A Guaranteed Approval from a 42 Year Old Company and the Best Visa Service on this Planet.

Call today to find out how we can help!

Aloha, CB Visa Support Staff.
Questions? Please call 800.322.3267
We’d be delighted to help!

What’s the Fastest Way to Bring Your Fiancee to the USA?



Breaking News: We just cut our Visa Support pricing in half! We now have super competitive pricing on all our services, while continuing to offer an unparalleled level of service and success.

If you’re excited to bring your foreign fiancee to the US and start your new life; we know you want her to be with you as quickly as possible and the only way to do that, is to do the paperwork right the first time.

We know it’s impossible to figure this all out on your own, and/or on the Government’s website, so we are here to help you get started today!

f you have questions about the US Fiancee or Spousal Visas, you owe it to yourself and your fiancee to contact the CB Visa Department for a FREE Consultation.

Our staff provides you and your Fiancée with hands on, A to Z support from the moment you place your order, to the moment your Fiancée receives her Visa. Cherry Blossoms Visa Support has been helping members for almost 40 years…

What does this mean for you?

1. Personal Service from day one until she gets here.

2. No delays due automated services and incorrect paperwork; personal service is #1.

3. A Guaranteed Approval from a 42 Year Old Companyand the Best Visa Service on this Planet.

Call today to find out how we can help!

Aloha, CB Visa Support Staff.
Questions? Please call 800.322.3267
We’d be delighted to help!